Tim Collard's blog on (and off) the Daily Telegraph

This blog is based on the one I write on the Daily Telegraph website (blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/timcollard). But it also contains posts which the Telegraph saw fit to spike, or simply never got round to putting up.

I'm happy for anyone to comment, uncensored, on anything I have to say. But mindless abuse, such as turns up on the Telegraph site with depressing regularity (largely motivated my my unrepentant allegiance to the Labour Party), is disapproved of. I am writing under the name which appears on my passport and birth certificate; anyone else is welcome to write in anonymously, but remember that it is both shitty and cowardly to hurl abuse from under such cover. I see the blogosphere as the equivalent of a pub debate: a bit of knockabout and coarse language is fine, but don't say anything that would get you thumped in the boozer. I can give as good as I get, and I know how to trace IP addresses.

Saturday 18 July 2009

China in Africa: maybe it's only money

I was speculating what the Chinese were up to in Africa the other day. It seems like the answer might be quite mundane: filling the pockets of the nomenklatura.

Unfortunately, wicked post-colonialist ideas of press freedom may have tripped them up, as the Namibians have arrested three people over a corruption scam involving a company managed by Hu Haifeng, the son of President Hu Jintao, and it has got all over the local media (as well as The Daily Telegraph). It seems that Chinese government finance for airport security scanners has been diverted to a dodgy company offering “consultancy services”, whose three leading figures, two Namibians and a Chinese, are now in the slammer.

I had assumed that the Chinese could work well in Africa because both sides understand the culture of the well-hidden kickback. It seems not.

President Hu’s son’s role in all this is unclear. We should not necessarily read anything into the widespread belief that many large Chinese companies function as invisible money-funnels for the children of the leadership – the “princelings’ faction” as they are known. But corruption is increasingly a cause of resentment and social unrest within China, and so outsourcing it to Africa might appear a clever idea. So long as you don’t get caught; perhaps Namibia could use some Chinese advice on controlling the press.

The director of Namibia’s Anti-Corruption Commission, Paulus Noah, says he would like to question Nuctech’s management, including Mr Hu – though the latter is “not a suspect at this stage”. I would advise him not to hold his breath.

“I would like to know how they do business in China,” Noah says. Much the same as presidents’ sons do it anywhere else, I would imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment