Tim Collard's blog on (and off) the Daily Telegraph

This blog is based on the one I write on the Daily Telegraph website (blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/timcollard). But it also contains posts which the Telegraph saw fit to spike, or simply never got round to putting up.

I'm happy for anyone to comment, uncensored, on anything I have to say. But mindless abuse, such as turns up on the Telegraph site with depressing regularity (largely motivated my my unrepentant allegiance to the Labour Party), is disapproved of. I am writing under the name which appears on my passport and birth certificate; anyone else is welcome to write in anonymously, but remember that it is both shitty and cowardly to hurl abuse from under such cover. I see the blogosphere as the equivalent of a pub debate: a bit of knockabout and coarse language is fine, but don't say anything that would get you thumped in the boozer. I can give as good as I get, and I know how to trace IP addresses.

Friday 21 May 2010

Let’s hear it for Diane Abbott – if it’s audible

A bit of colour – and I mean this entirely in the metaphorical sense – was brought into the otherwise monochrome Labour leadership contest by the entrance of Ms Diane Abbott into the competitors’ enclosure. She says, absolutely correctly, that the current crop of candidates all look the same. How many smooth, clean-cut male early fortysomethings can we cope with? Surely the opposition to a government led by Ant and Dec should offer some sort of contrast? So I unequivocally welcome Ms Abbott’s candidature.

Besides, I like Diane Abbott. I had lunch with her once, and she was great company. Labour women are often described, fairly or unfairly, as screeching harridans; but Ms Abbott is something far better: a reformed ex-harridan. Round about the time she decided she really must send her son to a selective school, she dropped the class-and-race-warrior bit and adopted a wonderfully self-deprecatory, foot-in-mouth style which is a welcome contrast to so many of her buttoned-up colleagues. Her double-act with Michael Portillo on Andrew Neil’s sofa has been a must-watch in my family for ages.

But there is a serious point behind her candidature: how important is it that Labour gives a clear sign of embracing diversity? It’s not just a question of showing willing by putting a token woman on the short-list; it’s a question of utilising the qualities that diverse sectors of humanity can bring to the table. Now, generalising in public about the differing qualities of men and women is taking your life in your hands, but, what the hell, I’ve got two ex-wives and I can take it. I would say that, on the whole, women possess great single-mindedness but are not so well equipped to deal with nuances, counter-arguments and unintended consequences. I will stick my neck out and say that seeing the issue from the other person’s point of view requires a Y chromosome.

This is no question of superiority or inferiority. Margaret Thatcher, love her or loathe her, was a prime example of a politician who knew what she wanted to do and got it through, scattering objectors like chaff. It’s clear that both approaches, the dialectic and the bulldozer, have their place in politics. What has no place is any sort of tokenism. Diane Abbott is no more “token” than Mrs Thatcher was, but I hope no-one votes for her just because of her gender or colour. As it is, I for one will be observing the performance of Labour MPs selected from “all-women shortlists” fairly closely.

But, inevitably, Ms Abbott’s performance in the leadership election will give some indication of just how important or unimportant “gender” or “diversity” issues really are in Labour politics. I rather suspect that, when push comes to shove, that competence and clarity of vision will prove to be rather more significant factors. Not that I am suggesting that Ms Abbott is deficient in either. But that’s for the party to decide.

I don’t think I’ll be voting for Ms Abbott – she’d be bound to put her foot in it to an extent which would endanger my ageing heart – but I’m glad she’s standing. Give ‘em hell, Diane.

No comments:

Post a Comment